Tuesday, July 17, 2012

July 17, 2012

Woot! Another great week. And I just got Rebekah DeBoer's last letter. That's so crazy!! I felt like she just left. She's just great.
I liked the high adventure pictures, it looked like a lot of fun.
Oh, and Dallin and Derek washing windows? That house looks familiar by the way. Hah, oh well. Good job.
It was great to hear from you guys this week... Dear Elder is just great.

But you know what's even better? The scriptures. I've loved reading them this last week, as I've been trying to read and learn by the Spirit, instead of only trying to learn academically. It's made such a change in my studies. And, it's just great because I know that it's only going to get better. Today I was studying 2 Nephi Chapter 2, and I just absolutely loved how plainly it teaches all the points of the Fall, agency here on earth and then how our only chance for redemption is through Christ. It just makes so much sense, and then it also has the Spirit to back it up as well. I was trying to study it in order to learn how I can teach the Plan of Salvation better to our investigators, which is how we were told to study, and it opens up so many other thoughts while studying. It's great. It actually is starting to all make sense, why we're here, and how we're supposed to overcome the world and make it back to God. I'm super excited to be able to share the principles in this chapter with those who don't know already. How awesome is it that we know all the things that we do?? That there is a way out of the suffering of this world, and that there is one who can take away our sins. I love how it talks about the 'infinite atonement' in Alma 34, how no law or person can atone for the sins of another. No matter what we try to do on our own, trying to live the best that we know how, we cannot overcome and be cleansed from our sins unless we go through Jesus Christ and His Atonement. And it had to be infinite in order to reach and cover all mistakes, and all suffering that has ever happened. And yet, He accomplished it, and He has made the way for us to be cleansed.
   In Alma 34:15-16, Amulek says, "And thus he shall bring salvation to all those who shall believe on his name; this being the intent of this last sacrifice, to bring about the bowels of mercy, which overpowereth justice, and bringeth about means unto men that they may have faith unto repentance. And thus mercy can satisfy the demands of justice, and encircles them in the arms of safety, while he that exercises no faith unto repentance is exposed to the whole law of the demands of justice; therefore only unto him that has faith unto repentance is brought about the great and eternal plan of redemption." And then later, he explains that when we will repent and harden not our hearts, 'immediately shall the great plan of redemption be brought about unto you.' While my faith isn't perfect, and I'm working to increase it every day, this is one think I know for sure. I know that Christ came to earth to suffer 'pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind', and took upon him the 'pains and sicknesses of his people' so that he would know 'how to succor his people according to their infirmities' (Alma 7:11-12). There's no way of denying the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ, because it's changed my life, and a countless number of others. There are ways for us to forget our sins or to hide the guilt that we feel, but there is nothing possible in the entire human spectrum of abilities that can erase sin and guilt that come from sin. That is only done through the Atonement of Christ, and having faith, and repenting. That's really what I love about this chance to be studying here at the MTC getting ready to go to Quebec. That message is true, and it's a message of hope and of life for all those who are living in the dark, or who are struggling to make it through the day. It's the news that we can be healed, as He promised.
  I understand how it's difficult to believe for some, and even harder to make the changes, but yet doesn't that reflect on anything we've ever had to do that was hard, or difficult? It would only make sense that the most important thing we can ever do would be a little bit difficult. And yet, we know that we'll receive the witness after the trial of our faith. I feel as if that's my job. To show people that there is a way to true happiness, to true peace. Just by showing people that there is a way to live and be truly happy can be enough to get them started. And it starts with me knowing that this is true, and so that's why I'm spending my time studying it. And guess what! (Or, vous savez quoi!) It is true! Everything that we've been studying or trying to learn relates around Jesus Christ, because he is the only way back to Heavenly Father. And Heavenly Father is our literal and loving Father who is waiting for us to just turn back to him. That's my hope, as was Alma's when he said, "and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy'. Obviously he was a better missionary than I am, but I want to purify myself in order to have that desire all the time. And yet, I love how that's possible, through Christ's Atonement, and through the Holy Ghost (See Helaman 3:35).

It's a great message, that God is aware of us today, and loves us enough to explain His Son's gospel and Atonement again on the earth, through modern day prophets and the Book of Mormon. Read it! It's really good.

Until next time, au revoir.

Love,
Elder Austin Keith Murphy

P.S. I heard it's Grandpa Murphy's birthday? Happy Birthday Grandpa. You're great. All the times we've ever talked about missionary work and becoming a missionary I feel have really helped me so far. I'm excited to get to the field to try out all those great strategies.
Elder Ferguson!

No comments:

Post a Comment