Bonjour! Goodness, it's been an odd week. It doesn't seem too long since I wrote the last email home, but it also feels like 2 years ago. hm. But it was great to hear from you guys again. Every night Elder Wilbur hands us our DearElders and it's always good to get one about Cole's silly blog or Alyse's exciting adventures in Santa Monica. Oh yeah, and you Camille.
After I sent my email last week, I was thinking DANG i didn't even tell them all the stuff I wanted to, and it was probably boring. And then that night was the best devotional I've ever heard. Marlin K Jensen came and spoke to us, and he just gave advice to us for 45 minutes and it was so goooooooood. My favorite quote from the night was probably from one when he quoted Joseph Smith, when he said, "Only a fool will triffle with the souls of men." That was so awesome. The devotional really let me re-focus and decide how I want to work every single day.
It was great too when I was reading D&C 123 and those last few verses are just amazing. How many are searching but they know not where to find it, and how we should 'wear out our lives' so we can bring to light that which has been kept in the dark. So sweet. I like that phrase, 'wear out or lives' because that's my goal, especially for these 2 years and then of course after as well.
Cole: Prochain Niveau. That's THE quote for Elder Ferguson and I. I hope google translate can get it right. Oh never mind, it just means Next Level. We always are trying to be the next level companionship, whether it's teaching the best lesson we can, or having the funniest jokes. Prochain Niveau.
Some bad news: I went to the fields during gym one day last week and saw we could do sand volleyball! So I went over with a few guys in my district and got in on a game, and then immediately regretted my decision. I've never had less fun playing a game before. Well that's not true, I didn't really play.. I touched it once hah. I don't think they had ever seen a volleyball before. So that put me in a sour mood for the next while, but then luckily (good news) I found some Polynesians! So I play on the inside court with them now. The games are a little better, even though we seem to really attract these Elders who can't seem to quite grasp the concept of 'sports'. I wonder why volleyball is so attractive to those who have never played anything before? I don't know, but the Polys make everything much better. They all just like me cause I've played before. Fun fun. And, I think instead of playing vball all gym time, I'm going to work on breaking the pushup record here.
Cole, here's another one: Quoi de nuf?
But here's a typical day for us in District 46A.
6:20 We wake up to beat the shower lines, then get ready and study until we eat at 7:30.
8:00 Class starts, so we plan for our lesson, teach the lesson, talk about it, and then plan for our next one. It's a mix between French and Gospel study because we're just doing both. Frere Magre teaches this class now.
11:00 Personal study until 12:15. Just studying the scriptures or PMG on a principle that we can share with our investigator.
12:15 Lunch
1:00 Language study for an hour. They've given us a lot of good materials like the French PMG, French scriptures, Missionary phrases and vocab book, and then a basic grammar studying book. So we use those to do language study.
2:15 The start of our second 3 hour class. We have Frere Weed as our teacher for our 2nd class of each day, and he's awesome. We go over the basic principles of teaching and being a missionary, along with language study and preparing for the lesson the next day.
5:15 Dinner. The meals are all the exact same as the Cannon Center, and a lot of kids complain about it, but I still feel like it's good. It doesn't sit very well when all we do is study in our classroom all day, but that's okay.
6:00 Gym time. Usually go into the gym to play volleyball or run on the> track. and then some pushups at home.
7:30 We start TALL. It's an awesome language program we use on the computer. We're able to see all these phrases we'd use in our lessons here or out in the field, and see how they're pronounced, and tons of vocab and good stuff like that. Au sujet de. That means 'about' and the program says it really funny, so we go around saying it all the time. Oh Sujey dueh.
This goes until 9.
9:00 we plan and prepare for our lesson some more.
9:30 we get home and get to unwind. I like to write in my journal, or study flash cards some more hah. Funny story about that actually, Elder Ferguson and I were outside of our room studying flashcards for our lesson in the morning, and this Elder came up to us and said "Hey, how long have you been here?" "umm, a week." "Okay, here's some advice. Right now, you need to be hanging out. You need to be throwing plastic bottles at each other, just hanging out. Trust me. You need this time to goof off.... blah blah blah" And then I won't put what I responded with, but we went our separate ways, and everything's good now. He seemed like a really nice guy though.
10:15 quite time
10:30 lights out.
11:30 I fall asleep. My brain takes sooo longgggggggggg to shut down.
But! Best news ever!!!!! Christ is there for us.
Second best news ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Elder Wilbur found out we could listen to church music on the computers during TALL time, so I went on the lds website and found Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing from Conference! It was from this last session when Mikey and I were watching it. It was SO GOOD and is still so good. It actually really made my week. God knew what I needed right then, cause I was having a pretty rough day until I got to listen to that.
If I could have one wish, could you laminate like 15 copies of the lyrics of that song, English on the front, French on the back, in like 5 x7 inch cards????? seriously, that's all I want. Thanks so much.
Can't wait till next week! Love you guys.
Dallin- get big
Elder Murphy
No comments:
Post a Comment